The most frequently asked questions about enamel as a material:
- What is enamel?
Enamel is a glass-like material used in coating and it can brake if subjected to a hard hit caused by e.g. dropping. In such case, the damage becomes visible on both the inner and outer surface.
Muurla’s enamelware consists of a carbon steel core that carries a double-coating of enamel.
- How are enamel products made?
Muurla’s enamelware is handmade and therefore appearance may slightly vary.
- Are enamel products dishwasher safe?
All the enamel products of Muurla are dishwasher safe.
- Can I put an enamel product in to the microwave oven?
Enamel products are not microwave oven safe because of their inner steel.
- Can I use induction stove with the enamel products?
Enamel products can be used on all stove types, open fire, grill and in an oven.
- Can I use steel scoops or spatulas with the enamel products?
We recommend to use wooden or plastic scoops with the enamel products. Steel scoops or spatulas may scratch the enamel products.
- Are enamel products' food safety guaranteed?
Muurla's enamel products are food safe and there are no hazardous substances dissolving in to the food.
- Can I drink hot beverages out of an enamel mug?
Yes, you can. You can drink ice cold and steaming hot beverages out of an enamel mug.
- Are the handles of the enamel products heating up while using the product?
Enamel products are made of carbon steel that conducts heat very well. This provides stable heat distribution while cooking but can also appear as the heating of the handles or the lid.
We recommend to use potholders while cooking.
- My food got burnt while cooking with the saucepan/pot. How do I clean the product?
If the food got burnt you should first hand wash the product gently before putting it in to the dishwasher. If the burnt food does not detach with the normal washing procedures we recommend to soak the product in soap water with some baking soda overnight.
- Surface of the enamel product is broken. Is this normal? Can I still use the product?
Enamel is a glaze so it can be broken if it gets hard impact. If broken spot of the impact can be seen both from inside and outside in the same spot. The inner steel of the product may be rusted if the enamel glaze is broken.
If the glaze of the enamel product is broken from the inside we do not recommend to use the product anymore. Small fragments of glaze may be detached from the product if broken.
- How do I recycle an enamel product?
An enamel product can be recycled normally in metal recycling.